Pages

Saturday 28 May 2016

A NEW CROCHET TOP

 
As a change from sketching and sewing I've been doing some crocheting recently.  I used to love knitting but gave up when Bob announced he didn't like the clicking of the needles.  Crochet however is silent with only the one hook so when I saw a dress on TV recently I decided to have a go again after many years of inactivity.

 
I managed to get a photo of this dress off the television as it was being modelled during the London fashion week last year.  It took me a while to work out how it was constructed and to design my own version of the wheels.

 
Here is the original drawing from my sketchbook where I tried to resolve the armhole shapes and what to do on the hem.

 
After half a dozen variations I came up with this simple wheel which I could crochet in about 15 minutes while watching TV.

 
As I worked  started to join them together in strips of 5or 6 wheels with the aim of joining them longways later.

 
Progress was quite quick and I even took the yarn, a cotton and acrylic mixture, and my hook when we went to England so that I could carry on working while we visited mum.  I think I ended up with about 70 wheels before I finished.

 
I started joining up and designing the armholes and neckline and finished off with a few fill ins to straighten out the curves and the hem.  You can see the result at the top of the post and I've already worn it out a couple of times and got some nice compliments too!

 
 
And finally, the latest of the flowering shrub drawings, a rhododendron, one of several different varieties in the garden.  There is a gap now till summer gets going and the buddleas and hydrangeas start to flower so I'll be back with more pictures then.  My mosaic picture won't get finished for a while, maybe about Christmas time when everything has finished in the garden!
 




No comments:

Post a Comment