Pages

Sunday 17 July 2016

IT'S SUMMER AT LAST!

 
The sun's been shining here for a few days now and we're keeping our fingers crossed that it will last long enough to feel like a proper summer. 
The hydrangeas in my garden and all over the town are in their full glory in all shades of blue through pink and red to deep purple.  I picked a wonderful bloom the size of a football from one of my plants to draw as part of my flowering shrubs series.

 
These Hypericum plants flower for a long time with new flowers popping up every day.  The leaves have a delicate fragrance when you crush them and parts of the plant are also used as a drug to treat depression.

 
This happy looking plant with silvery leaves is called Senecio.  The yellow daisy like flowers only last a couple of weeks before the dead heads have to be cut off so that the surrounding hydrangeas and hypericums can take up their own space.

 
I've been out and about with my sketchbook, drawing the beach at Tregastel before a nice lunch out with friends.

 
The lanes are full of wild flowers at the moment and I managed to pick a good bunch before the council came along and mowed the verges.

 
We love to go walking along the lanes and paths by the sea at this time of year and I realised that I needed a shoulder bag to carry my sketchbook and water in.  As soon as we got home I had a rummage through the fabric stash and came up with some fake suede and a colourful print for the lining.

 
I measured the sketchbook and the water bottle to make sure the bag was just big enough to carry them without being too large.  I'm really pleased with the result and I've been using it nearly every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment