Pages

Saturday 11 February 2017

OUR FAVOURITE BEACH

 
Here's my latest needlepainting, a view of Tourony plage, our favourite beach and one of the iconic images of Ploumanac'h used in most of the publicity for this wonderful area of the pink granite coast.
I collected together a bunch of photos of the little chateau on the island at the entrance to the harbour and the rocks as well as some of my sketches done over the years to use as inspiration.

 
 
I started with a calico background that I covered with pale blue organza scraps held down with a piece of blue net.  The sea is made from bondaweb coloured with acrylic inks thanks to a tip from my friend in Sweden, Jacqueline.
 
 
 
I started to build up the image with scraps of green and pink fabrics and overstitching till I was happy with the effect.

 
The rocks came next in a combination of all the orange and pink scraps I could find. I played around with different stitches on the sewing machine to give them some texture.  As you can see from the picture at the top I gradually worked forward adding bits till I was happy.  The painted bondaweb was great for the little bits of sea on the sand as long as I remembered to cover them with paper before touching with the iron!

 
When I had finished I turned over the work and decided to scan the back as it looks rather like a coloured sketch.
I hope you've enjoyed seeing this process and I will be sharing some more with you later in the year.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment