Pages

Saturday 29 September 2018

HOME FROM HOLIDAYS 2

                                       



 
We arrived at Benodet and found our campsite only a short distance from the shore with a fabulous promenade all around the headland and back along the river bank to the town itself.  This is a stitched picture of the sketch  below, using linen as a background with assorted organzas and yarns and a bit of inktense coloured fabric for the tree trunk.

 
I sat on a bench one afternoon to draw this in my new long sketchbook which is quite a challenge to use as I have to think carefully about how I'm going to fit in the image I want to depict. I used water soluble triplus pens on this trip as they are so quick and easy to add a bit of colour.
 
 
This another view from the promenade  around the headland looking out to sea and the yachts coming home after a day's sailing.  The cormorant posed on his rock just long enough for me to capture him and his strange movements as he tried to swallow a large fish!



                                         
 
We walked into town one day and found a very busy port with boats taking people out for trips up the river as well as to the nearby islands. There were coaches full of visitors and many bars and restaurants to choose from selling the local seafood as well as crepes.  We chose a bar with comfortable sofas facing the harbour wall to take a couple of beers to refresh us ready for the long walk back to camp.

 
 
 
The campsite was very well laid out with lots of attractive trees between the plots and this is the view through our front window.  I've left out the caravan that was actually where I've done the writing and used my Museum water soluble pencils to add the colour.
 
 
 
I picked a few of the red sycamore leaves from the tree on the left of the sketch to play with using the crimson water soluble pen from the triplus set.  I had wanted to pick one of the chestnuts from the tree in the distance but there was another camper on the plot and I didn't want him to think I was a total nutcase!
 

 
From Benodet we moved on to Arradon on the gulf of Morbihan and another campsite only a short walk from the sea.  We had arranged our annual get together with some camping friends and we spent three lovely days together, walking, talking, eating and drinking so I only have one sketch to show for it.  Carolyn and I took their dog Florie for a walk and sat in the sun to draw this while our menfolk went shopping for wine.
Now we're back home and I'm catching up on my family portrait project which I'll share with you next time.  A bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment