Today is my sister Juliet's birthday and for her card this year I made one of my special mushroom needlepaintings.
I thought you might like to see how I build up the picture with layers of fabric scraps from my collection of samples from my dress designer friend Luba.
I was inspired by this photo I took in England in October and as you can see I found plenty of suitably coloured scraps in the stash.
This first part of the picture making is quite exciting as I never know how this random seeming jumble of bits pinned to a larger piece of plain brown gabardine will turn out. I then started to stitch it all down with zigzags overlapping pieces as I went. It all looks a bit of a mess at this stage!
I then added some cords stitched at angles for twigs and a few cut out leaf shapes with the veins stitched on first.
A close up shows the stitching and you can't quit see it but there's a bit of frayed cord that turned out rather nicely as it fluffed up like lichen.
I had a lot of fun with the mushrooms, zigzagging the patterns on the caps and overlapping the shapes to make a pleasing arrangement.
I added a fifth mushroom after I took this picture as I feel that an odd number is always a better composition and I didn't like that one bending over in the middle! Lots more cut out leaves stitched on and I think it's finished.
I mounted the picture on some red card and made a frame to cover the cut edges and posted it off in time for Juliet to open it today. Happy birthday little sister!