Pages

Saturday, 19 November 2016

MUSHROOMS IN THE FOREST

 
It's been another wet and windy week in Perros so I've been busy again with my sewing machine making a needlepainting from a photo I took while I was in England. Above is the finished piece before I stitched it into a cushion cover.
 
 
Here is the photo so you can see what I was inspired by, a fallen silver birch with a family of pale mushrooms growing in the crevices.


 
I thought you might like to see how I put it together so I took photos as I went along.  I started with a plain piece of cream linen and collected together a handful of scraps from my collection; mostly supplied by Luba from her fashion designing days.

 
I added pieces of string and cord to depict branches and some green patchwork fabrics for the leaves and mosses.  I had bought a pack of many different coloured threads recently so I was able to do lots of fancy stitching on top but unfortunately as they were a bit thinner than usual I had to go very slowly to stop the thread breaking every few minutes!

 
I built up the picture, layer by layer, decorating the mushrooms before I added them, my favourite is the lying down one just above the main group.


 
A couple of close ups so you can see the detail of the stitching.

 
I added some more leaves and crinkled voile for the bark under the mushrooms and decided that it was done.

 
I had some fabric left over from our living room curtains that I used to frame and back the picture and now it's a lovely cushion.



 
Here it is on the sofa with it's sister picture of Roussillon I made a few months ago.  Luckily the sofa is the one opposite me in the lounge so I won't be sitting on the cushion anytime soon but I can admire it from across the rug!