Pages

Saturday 28 July 2018

MIDSUMMER SKETCHING

 
I love the summer when we can eat outside and especially enjoy our local speciality.
This sketch is in coloured pencils and pens.

A treat on a Sunday is oysters for lunch with a bottle of champagne, followed by some delicious cheese and salad.

Every shell is different and I always keep one or two to draw later.
Last Sunday was no different and I was inspired to get out my watercolours after visiting the annual festival of painters and chatting to Yann Lesacher, an artist who is walking the GR34 around Brittany and recording it in his sketchbooks.

This one is just drawn in a grey pen that looks like graphite and I decided to leave it unpainted.
 

The last one is my favourite, I've pushed the colours a bit but there really is purple and green in the shells. I'm thinking of a way to make textile depiction of an oyster shell....

 
I can't remember if I've posted this one before, it's in my nature sketchbook that gets occasional use when something outside inspires me.  I made it into textile art birthday card for a friend but I seem to have lost the scan.
 

We have a pair of magpies that live in and around our garden and I got quite excited when I saw them starting to build a nest in our silver birch tree.  Each day there were a few more twigs carefully woven into the structure and I was looking forward to watching the new family arriving and being brought up.  I went to England around this time for a fortnight and when I came back I soon realised the nest had been abandoned, it's possible the birds realised they hadn't made a good choice when the top of the tree was blown about in a storm!
 
 
We're all very concerned about the bees and when I saw one lying on the terrace I tried to give it a drink of sweetened water but sadly it didn't survive.  However I kept it to draw on a page where I had already drawn a tulip from my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment