Pages

Saturday 13 April 2019

A WEEK OF WEAVING

 
I've had a fun time this last week or so on my weaving frame.  I wanted to try and make some cuff bracelets after seeing some on the internet.

 
I had a rummage through my stash of yarns from Michel and found some pretty pink shades in different textures like chenille and sparkly acrylic.  I set up the loom with a plain pink cotton for the warp as it was the strongest and then started to weave across alternating the different colours.  I ended up with a piece measuring about 7 x 20 centimetres.  At each end of the weaving you can see some red yarn woven across in 3 lines, this is to prevent the weaving coming undone when I take it off the loom and is removed when I have stabilised the weaving with some fine iron on interfacing.


 
I searched my collection of fabric scraps and came up with some co-ordinating batik but I had to go shopping for the fine elastic and the pearl buttons. I faced out the weaving with the lining, adding the loops at one end and making the opening in the middle to make it easier to turn through which only needed hemming when I finished.
 
 
 
After stitching on the buttons I had a pretty cuff bracelet, perfectly co-ordinated with my pink jumper.

 
This inspired me to try another, blue one which goes well with jeans and white tops.

 
The buttons for this one came from an old necklace my sister gave me years ago (thank you Juliet!)
 
 
Then I thought I would try one woven in the other direction, with the warp on the short side instead of the long one.  In fact I was using up the warp after weaving the front of my new bag.  It's quite wasteful if I throw away the rest of the warp from the 50 cms frame when I've only woven 20 cms for the project.  Above you can see the finished weaving with the iron on interfacing to  keep the yarns in place.
 
 
I took a few wooden beads from an old bracelet to decorate this one.

 
The buttons are beads from another old necklace which I coloured to match with nail varnish.  And I'm sure you recognise the lining, it's a scrap from my new holiday blouse made from a sarong.

 
Next time I'll show you the new bag I made so watch this space and thank you for visiting today.
If you like what you see on my blog why not sign up to follow me by email?  I would love to share what I do with more people so tell your craft loving friends too.





No comments:

Post a Comment