Pages

Sunday 3 January 2021

PFA 2020 COMPLETED WALLHANGING


Here at last is my completed 2020 Postcard Fabric Art challenge wall hanging.  Each A4 sized card has an eyelet in each corner so that they can be joined to form this piece measuring 85 x 90 cms now hanging in my entrance hall.


Following on from my last post in the summer the next month was June and the 1930s theme.  I chose to highlight the inventer of the A to Z of London, Phyllis Pearsall, a publication which made a huge difference to my life as a representative driving around the city and the rest of the country.


In July the 1940s and the Women's Land Army became my focus and especially as my mother worked there in her twenties during the war and wore this particular uniform.


The 1950s in August and the fashions of Christian Dior were a highlight. My mother became a mum to me in Sweden where she was living at the time with my dad, and as she was a dressmaker I could imagine her sewing and wearing a dress like this.


The 1960s was the subject in September and my time at art college became the theme.  I printed a page from my sketchbook, collaged a handful of images and hand stitched my portraits of the time in black thread.


In the 1970s for October I chose the start of my married life with Bob and the setting up of our home together.


In November the 1980s and 1990s saw us working hard to save for our boat and enjoying our spare time sailing around the south of England and across the channel.  This piece started as another group's  challenge during the lockdown in spring and then seemed perfect for this month's card.


In December we were challenged to come up with an idea for the 2000s and beyond and our life since we retired here in France in 2003 was a perfect choice as the subject.  We bought a camping car and spent our holidays exploring our new country as well as further afield in Spain and Sweden where we searched out my birthplace.
All the pieces in this collection were made using fabric collage and hand and machine embroidery.  I'm lucky to have a large stash of assorted fabric to choose from to make the appropriate parts and frames for the pictures.
I also want to thank Ann Hillman Lamy for her original idea for this wonderful group which works so well with people around the world sharing their work and inspiring each other. In 2021 we have a whole new set of challenges to try so maybe I'll share some of them here in the future.

 

2 comments:

  1. I love this and it has inspired me to do something similar to depict my own peculiar life!! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is indeed a very special piece of work - more so as it includes scenes from our shared family life! It captures people and times in your life in a far deeper, more meaningful way than photos, or even paintings could do. Very proud of you my sister!

    ReplyDelete