Pages

Saturday 15 December 2018

HAPPY CHRISTMAS CARDS

 
Well, it's nearly Christmas and I've been so organised this year that all my cards have been sent and hopefully received by now. I decided to make use of the lovely stash of yarns I was given last year to make something a bit different.

 
I attended a basket weaving class run by my friend Soizic and as it was the season for it she showed us how to make these stars using willow and natural fibres like raffia and fresh grasses.
I drew a diagram that I could refer back to for the process, as you can see it's a thread wrapped around a star base and if you follow the lines it's quite straight forward.  I attached the end on the back using sellotape to stop it slipping and soon got into a rhythm of winding.

 
Here you can see the templates I used to cut out my stars in different coloured card and also some stiff clear plastic sheets made by passing empty laminating sheets through the laminating machine. I also cut out a few stars with pinking shears to stop the yarns sliding on the sides of the stars.

 
I used nearly every yarn in the collection, especially the fluffy white ones which were perfect for the moment on a blue background.
I had ordered a set of pre-folded plain cards and envelopes and I printed the Christmas message inside before I hand stitched each star with a different scrap of texture fabric or organza as a background.

 
I invited some friends round and we spent a lovely afternoon making these and chatting about our Christmases past and present.

 
The girls all went home with lots of star bases and balls of yarn to share with their grandchildren.

 
I hope you've enjoyed this little tutorial and will try this for yourselves.
Finally I wish a Merry Christmas to all my readers and a happy and creative New Year!

1 comment: