Pages

Saturday 8 December 2018

YARNIES FOR JAMES

 
Have you heard of Unravel?  It's a computer game with two delightful characters called Yarnies who travel around their world helping each other to get about.

 
My grandson James and his dad were playing it while I was in England recently and I was really impressed at the pleasure this gave them and me.

 
There is no shooting or killing or loud noises, just a gentle tune playing in the background.

 
James asked me if I could make him some Yarnies and of course I said "yes!"

 
I researched on the internet and discovered that the game originated in Sweden, where I was born so I searched out my sketchbook full of drawings done when I was there in 2012.

 
I used some red and blue electrical wire as the basis of the figures and searched out some red and blue yarns from my stash to wind around .

 
I made their lifelines on the sewing machine by zigzagging 2 threads together to make them strong and doubled back over the ends to reinforce and prevent unravelling.

 
Once they were finished I had a lot of fun photographing them in different poses in my studio.

 
The Yarnies explored the bookcase,
 
 
and climbed over my lamps.


 
They played with my pens but finally I had to say good bye and designed a card to post them in.
 
 
I found various scraps to make a Christmas tree scene with hand embroidery and lots of glitter.
The support inside is pelmet interfacing which just happened to have the points already cut out.

 
The outside is a spotty satin and I used a piece of red ribbon to make the tie wrap.
 
 
I posted a picture every day on Facebook after I sent the Yarnies off this week, James was thrilled with his gift and sent me a picture back to say thank you.
This has been a different making experience for me and I can honestly say I had a lot of fun with it and especially imagining James's face when he opened the envelope.


 
 






No comments:

Post a Comment