Pages

Monday, 3 March 2014

SEWING BEE IN MY BONNET PART 1

 
The Great British sewing bee has started a new series and I'm hooked!  Last Tuesday's programme had the contestants re-modelling 2 men's shirts into a new garment. Some of the results were spectacular and some were pretty dull.  I spent most of the night awake with my head buzzing with ideas and in the morning a rummage in my fabric box produced a length of black cotton and some scraps from a top I made last year.  I got out my black sketchbook to jot down some ideas and this is what I came up with. I was undecided at first but finally settled on the one on the left, a copy of a favourite blouse that's worn out.
 
 
I decided to cut the back, skirt and sleeves on the cross to give it a bit of drape and interest with the woven check and there was just enough of the cherry to cut out the front.  I made tiny rouleau loops and bought some red bobble buttons to finish off the front.  I'm quite pleased with the result and looking forward to some warm weather now to be able to wear it.
 
 
I thought I might start to add some of my 1965 dress designs from my art college days to these sewing blogs.  I only have one sketchbook and a book of pattern cutting notes left from that time so there isn't a lot to see but I can remember trying to develop my own style of drawing the models and clothes.  Don't they look skinny with their stick legs!  I did actually make several of those bonnet hats and wear them to go out, I can remember a pink one that matched a woollen baby doll dress in particular.