Pages

Friday 9 August 2013

75 DAY CHALLENGE

 
Near the end of last year as my nature journal came to a close I decided I needed a new project to follow through the winter.  I had heard about this challenge on my Artists journal workshop facebook group and it seemed interesting.
 
 
An American artist, Brenda Swenson, set the challenge to draw something every day for 75 days in pen only without any pre-drawing in pencil.  The idea being to sharpen up the observation skills and to learn to put down a good line first time and also not to worry about errors as they can add to the effect.  I found an old dummy book from my days as a stationery rep and covered it in a colourful fabric and got out my collection of pens. I was amazed at the quantity and variety I had in my box!
 
 
 
Then I had a think about the possible subject matter as I wanted to make an interesting record of something if I was going to put in a lot of effort.  I have an extensive collection of pottery bought on our travels in the last 40 years as well as my parents' collections of wedgwood, coffee cups and silver.
 
 
 
 
I started on December 1st 2013 and as I completed each day's drawing I posted it on the challenge facebook page.  I have a wonderful book by Claudia Nice about drawing in pen which has inspired me ever since I bought it about 12 years ago and now I was able to use some of the ideas and textures she showed and demonstrated in the accompanying videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment